Online Marketing can be broken down based on the type of online marketing.
Common themes in online marketing
(Almost) All forms of online marketing result in a person visiting a web site and performing some sort of Conversion Action. The link (or URL) that leads into a web site is called a Landing URL, and the page that is displayed is called the Landing Page.
In the purest form, online marketing can be boiled down to a few strategies:
- Paying vendors, such as Search Engines, Social Networks, News sites, or Industry-specific sites to put a link to your site on their site, usually in the form of an advertisement. Visitors to the site click on the link and visit your site.
- Updating links on Free Sites, Public Forums, blogs
- Creating a blog or blogs, and writing compelling content about your product or industry.
- Search Engine Marketing (or SEM) is the process of developing, managing, and measuring Pay-Per-Click marketing campaigns.
- Search Engine Optimization (or SEO) is the process of improving your existing site (or sites) to better rank in Search Engine Results Pages SERPS.
- Viral Marketing is the process of developing some content which has a "hook" or is compelling enough that individuals forward it via email (or through Social Networks) to their friends, colleagues, or peers. Viral Marketing can also be called Viral Email and is one of the least expensive and most effective forms of advertising. However, it is also one of the most difficult to do effectively.
- Email Marketing consists of two components:
- Email List Generation is the development of an email list, either by purchasing through a variety of Email List Vendors, internally, or by soliciting web site visitors to sign up for a Newsletter.
- Email Design is the development of email content which is sent to an email list. Email Design is as complex as Landing Page Design and requires consideration of different email clients, psychology of users, and many other factors.
Unorthodox forms of Online Marketing